Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Skeen transferring from Wake Forest

Wake Forest coach Dino Gaudio confirmed Wednesday night that former North Mecklenburg High standout Jamie Skeen will be transferring.

Skeen was declared ineligible for the fall semester for violating the school's academic policy and informed the team this week he would not appeal for reinstatement to the university.

"I wish Jamie would have gone ahead and appealed his decision and came back. I wish he would have done that," Gaudio said. "I mean this with all my heart, this isn't coach-speak, that is one of the most respectful, coachable young men that I've been a part of in 28 years.
"I'm saddened to see him go but I wish him nothing but the best. I talked to his high school coach, Duane Lewis, today and said, 'Everything and anything I can do, you tell me and I'll call 100 schools and tell them the same thing.' "

Skeen, a 6-foot-8, 250-pound forward, will have two years of eligibility left but would have to sit out a year if he transfers to another NCAA Division I school.

In two seasons of action at Wake, Skeen averaged 6.6 points and 4.4 rebounds a game. He was named North Carolina's Mr. Basketball in 2005, the same season he led North Mecklenburg to the N.C. 4A state championship.

--- Jim Utter

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Please consider transferring to Campbell University!

Alex said...

C'mon Jamie, you know you wanna play in your hometown. Come on back to Charlotte.

Anonymous said...

Hey Alex,

I think 6-8 250 might be technically referred to as a big man and you know Lutz doesn't go after big men.

Anonymous said...

It's really a wonder this type of thing doesn't happen more often. You relax the admission standards for athletes and then expect them to be able to keep up in a school that is academically over their heads.

I feel sorry for the kid. It's a bit of a set up.

Anonymous said...

Come on stop giving excuses. He just did not get it done in the classroom. Unlike in the days when our generation was in College and academic centers with many tutors was not avaliable. The student athletes at major universities have all the resources in place to stay eligible and get an education. We cannot continue to enable and give these kids a crutch. Be accountable and get your work done in the classroom.

Anonymous said...

LOL.....if he's having academic issues...he won't go to campbell or UNCC...LOL He'll be playing for Johnson C Smith....or another D2 school. He won't have to sit out a year and will make an immediate impact on the team.
But if he's smart, he will transfer and sit out a year until he gets his study habits right.

Anonymous said...

Yeah right - like UNCC and Campbell have the same stringent academics that Wake does... I can see him maybe interested in the Niners, but Campbell??? Have you been to Buies Creek, NC??? Not sure if this is still the case, but 10 years ago they were actually using mobile homes for student housing! Nice.